Department: Purchasing Department
Reports To: Financial Controller
Promotes the most effective use of company funds in the acquisition of assigned goods and services by applying the company’s purchasing policies and procedures. Coordinates the procurement cycle of specific products or services. Contacts suppliers for quotations, prepares purchase requisitions, follows up on outstanding purchase orders and ensures safe transportation of the product. The skilled Purchasing Agent will have the means and opportunity to raise our profits by making the most high-quality and cost-effective purchases.
The Purchasing Agent will have a keen eye for detail and a commercial mindset. You should know how to evaluate market conditions and different suppliers. Communication skills will help you negotiate effectively and maintain profitable relationships. The Purchasing Agent will be able to critically assess suppliers, products, and services, and negotiate the best possible deals. Ultimately, an outstanding Purchasing Agent has a keen sense of business and maintains meticulous transaction records. The goal is to acquire supplies that are critical for the success of our business operations at the highest quality and at the lowest possible price and in the correct amounts.
- Receives and analyzes requisitions, develops and investigates potential sources of supply, issues requests for quotations for those items not covered by existing purchasing agreements
- Issues purchase orders for supplies and materials
- Verifies purchase requisitions by comparing items requested to master list; clarifying unclear items; recommending alternatives.
- Prepares purchase orders by verifying specifications and price; obtaining recommendations from suppliers for substitute items; obtaining approval from requisitioning department.
- Verifies receipt of items by comparing items received to items ordered; resolves shipments in error with suppliers.
- Keeps information accessible by sorting and filing documents.
- Provides purchasing planning and control information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities.
- Develop profitable purchasing strategies
- Assess supplier profiles and analyze offers
- Prepare and implement effective negotiation tactics
- Manage relationships with key suppliers to maintain quality of goods, timely delivery and compliance to terms of contracts
- Prepare and submit detailed reports (revenues, buying expenditures etc.)
- Follows up on open purchase orders as appropriate; expedites late or exception items
- Correspond with suppliers for quotations; maintains contact with vendors regarding current status of purchase orders
- Maintains files and records of materials, prices, inventories, and deliveries
- Analyzes inventory stock on-hand and initiates paperwork to purchase additional quantities when necessary
- Negotiates price and shipping with international vendors, sources new vendors and maintains relationships with existing vendors
- Researching and comparing suppliers, goods, and services.
- Selecting the most suitable suppliers in terms of reliability, product quality, and cost-efficiency.
- Monitoring inventory levels and determining purchase needs.
- Scheduling and verifying purchase deliveries.
- Identify foreign and domestic suppliers and vendors.
- Ask vendors for promotional prices and incentives.
- Keep abreast of changes affecting both the supply of, and demand for, needed products and materials.
- Consider price, quality, availability, reliability, and technical support when choosing suppliers
- Research and evaluate suppliers based on price, quality, selection, service, support, availability, reliability, production and distribution capabilities, and the supplier's reputation and history.
- Monitor and follow applicable laws and regulations.
- Negotiate, or renegotiate, and administer contracts with suppliers, vendors, and other representatives.
- Monitor shipments to ensure that goods come in on time, and in the event of problems trace shipments and follow up undelivered goods.
- Confer with staff, users, and vendors to discuss defective or unacceptable goods or services and determine corrective action.
- Evaluate and monitor contract performance to ensure compliance with contractual obligations and to determine need for changes.
- Maintain and review computerized or manual records of items purchased, costs, delivery, product performance, and inventories.
- Review catalogs, industry periodicals, directories, trade journals, and Internet sites, and consult with other department personnel to locate necessary goods and services.
- Arrange the payment of duty and freight charges.
REQUIREMENTS AND TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES
- 2 to 5 years of proven experience as Purchasing Agent with medium to large scale manufacturing company
- High School degree, Certification, or vocational training(college degree preferred)
- Experience sourcing and working international vendors (specifically China)
- Experience with Microsoft Office (work, excel, outlook, etc.)
- Experience with enterprise ERP systems
- Knowledge of Supply Chain Management
- Knowledge of Vendor Relationship management
- Customer Service skills
- Knowledge of Manufacturing Methods and Procedures
- Knowledge of Manufacturing Quality
- Knowledge of Cost Accounting
- Demonstrable experience in negotiating prices and terms and conditions
- Knowledge of market research, data analysis and purchasing best practices
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A strong analytical mindset
- Proficiency in and inventory management software programs.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong organization and documentation skills.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Type 40 WPM
- BSc/BA in business administration or relevant field; MSc/MA will be considered a plus
WORK ENVIRONMENT and PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- This job operates in a professional office environment.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines and various computer programs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is typical of that of an office.
- Incumbent may encounter frequent interruptions throughout the work day.
- The employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear; frequently required to use repetitive hand motion, handle or feel, and to move, traverse, reach, and bend throughout the day.
- May be required to move or lift up to 20 pounds.
BendPak Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, medical condition (including genetic characteristics), mental and/or physical disability or handicap, marital status, sex, age, veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political party preference, political belief, socioeconomic status, familial status, registered domestic partner status, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions and any other characteristic or activity protected by federal, state or local law.
Use the form below to submit your resume.